Wednesday 4 July 2012

Day 5 at the orphanage - July 4, 2012

What a day we had today...first thing this morning, after breakfast, we headed over to get a taxi with the other family and, while we were talking a bird got hit by a car!  When safe, I ran out into the road, picked it up and placed it in a flower pot.  Hoping it would rest and be okay.  I'm not sure if it broke it's wing or not.  I pray that it is okay.  Later in the afternoon, I went back and was going to give it water, but it was not there.  I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Like yesterday, when we arrived at the orphanage first thing, Baby E was sleeping.  So we visited with the other babies and waited for him to wake up.  Finally, close to 10pm, he woke up.  I definitely think he is getting used to us...he doesn't cry at all when he sees us or when we pick him up.  We have successfully given him a bottle of water and also two bottles of formula.  It seems we have another small eater though.  He really has to be encouraged to eat.  M was the same but he just nursed on demand, which seemed to be every hour!  One of the younger ladies that works at the orphanage, was kind enough to go out and buy some Vietnamese CD's for us.  We paid her back and thanked her kindly.  What a special thing for Baby E to have to listen to as he grows up.  When we go back to Ho Chi Minh City, I would like to buy some more things for him.  Maybe we will have a bit of time to look around in Vung Tau tomorrow.  The days just go by so quickly.  Going to the orphanage twice a day, rest and eat in between...there's not time for much else.  It doesn't help that we are still going to bed so early.  Today, I observed a bit more how they make the rice congee they feed the babies.  They make the rice in a big rice maker and add very finely chopped vegetables, including spinach and garlic and meat...sometimes fish, sometimes chicken and sometimes pork.  It cooks for a long time and makes "rice soup"...the consistency is really nice for the babies.  I wonder if our rice cooker can make something similar.

After our visit at the orphanage this morning, we went make to the hotel for lunch and a swim.  Then it was a quick change and back to the orphanage.  But not before coming across a baby gecko that was partially squished.  The poor thing...it's head and front feet were okay but back legs and tail were not.  Again, I moved him over to a flower pot where I thought he might find food easier.  10 minutes later when we went to check on him, his head was down and he was covered in ants.  I guess that's nature...it just makes me so sad.  Things like this don't usually happen to me...it just makes me wonder why two precious animals got hurt today.  I know it happens every day but still, twice in one day...really?!

This afternoon was very nice...Baby E was awake, but when we arrived he was whisked off to the back.  I decided to follow and we were excited to see he was getting a bath.  It is so neat to see...the kids don't sit in the water...they stand them up against the wall and scrub them down from head to toe.  He was clenching his little bum tight and didn't seem to want to be cleaned there, LOL!  Then he was dabbed with eucalyptus oil on his chest and put in to a fresh, clean onesie.  I noticed it was made by the Gap so I checked the tag for size....if you can believe it, he's size newborn!!!  The tag says 7-9 kg's or 12-17 pounds!!! Yikes...I think I only brought a few really small items...most of what I brought was 6-12 months size!  Oh well, that's okay.  If I'm desperate for outfits, I can buy something here.  But I'm sure some of what I brought will work.  M was able to walk around with Baby E a bit more today, and they interacted and played more together.  It was very cute to see.

When finished, we headed back to the hotel.  Ray & M have headed off to the pool again, and I decided to check email and blog.  Might even read a little.  I would like to try to stay awake longer tonight.  Today is the first day I am really starting to feel more myself.  The heat still takes a lot out of you, but the pool and cold showers are nice.  I will, however, be glad to have E with us.  We can treat him for scabies and then stop bagging and washing our clothes.  Every morning and afternoon, the routine is to take our clothes off and put them in a plastic bag and tie it up.  We leave it for a few hours, or overnight.  Then, I soak it in hot water in the bathtub with borax and lavender oil.  It takes a long time for our clothes to dry though, and we are running out of places to hang them up.  We have one more bag to wash tonight, and then we plan to send one more load of clothes out to be laundered.  One more day at the orphanage and then, hopefully, the G&R ceremony.  Very excited to finalize the adoption...especially now that we see he is doing so well with us.

View of the baby floor from the orphanage courtyard.


2 comments:

  1. You are so kind and thoughtful to be rescuing animals at a time like this. It is interesting to read about how to prevent the spread of scabies!!!!! I kind of worried about it when I made a trip to my country in May, but they had ringworm at one of the oprhanages instead. M sounds like he is eager to become a big brother. I'd love to learn more about this program as I will likely have to change countries.
    Take care of yourselves, stay safe and keep loving on baby E! I can't wait to see pictures on Friday when you are able to post.
    Best wishes,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a slow cooker might work well in making the congee. Precook the rice and put everything together in the cooker, just a thought. I agree with Elizabeth about the treatment of scabies, thank you. Your journal entries are so alive and so well done. I have decide to also do a blog that's how inspired I am:)
    I got more pics and videos of my little girl this morning, but so far no mention of the care package. The pics and videos were great I'm just hoping that the package wasn't offensive in anyway. I did clear it with Dorinda. The one thing I'm curious about is What you get for the staff ? And Do you give a donation to the orphanage? (is it required) do the children each have their own nannies?
    Keep enjoying, take care
    Barb

    ReplyDelete