Monday 2 July 2012

Day 3 at the orphanage - July 2, 2012

I couldn't have said it better myself....this is was written by Ray. Hello, I'm sure when Carrie wakes some time during the night (like she has for the last few nights) she will blog about some or all of this, but since she and Matthew are asleep ( at 7:30 pm) I thought I'd send a bit of an update (I figure I'm good for another hour or two before I crash). Today was the best day so far with baby E.  When we first arrived at the orphanage this morning and I picked him up he did cry for a very short time.  He got over that fast enough.  We took him down to the court yard again and spent a couple of hours there.  That's a good place because Matthew has a chance to play with some of the older kids.  He comes by every once in a while and gives baby E a hug and kiss and then continues on with playing. Just before we left the orphanage in the morning (baby E goes down for a nap around then) we had a chance to meet with the director.  We still have many questions for her, but because our representative from the agency wasn't there (she was picking up the other couple arriving from Ottawa to adopt a little girl from the same orphanage) we decided to wait to ask many of our questions. Matthew did get a chance to ask the question Carrie and I have been wondering about......when do we get to bring him home with us?  She explained to him that we need to visit him enough so that he becomes comfortable with us and feels safe.  When he doesn't cry when we first pick him up will be a good sign.  From there we would progress to taking him for a walk outside the orphanage.  She thought that maybe that might be possible in the late afternoon....dependent on the weather and baby E.  The director was quite taken with Matthew.  They even played a short game of "catch me" as she chased him down the hall. We came back to the hotel for some lunch.  Carrie wanted to get some rest.  Matthew wanted to go to the pool so he and I headed there for a short swim.  That was the first time we had used the pool here.  After a short swim we headed back up to the room.  Matthew had a bit of a nap while Carrie and I mapped out where the shopping mall is.  We were told it's better to buy a stroller here rather than lug one here all the way from Canada.  You can get a good one here at an inexpensive price....and since we already had enough luggage to bring that suits us just fine.  We will likely go shopping for that and the formula the orphanage uses tomorrow. When we arrived back at the orphanage in the afternoon baby E was just getting his diaper changed.  Once he was ready they handed him to me and he didn't make a peep.....it was like he expected us to be there!  In fact, he only briefly cried once the entire afternoon....because he didn't like the way he was sitting or something simple like that. After a little bit we decided to see if we could take him for a walk outside.  The director was gone for the day so we asked someone else.   They agreed and off we went down the street.  There was supposed to be a park not too far away, but we never ventured that far because the rain looked like it was about to come down.  Instead we just went down the street a ways and then worked our way back (about 20 minutes or so).  It was rather windy so we put a hat on him that we brought.....it suits him:).  Baby E was fine with the whole experience and spent the entire time looking at everything as it went by.  The babies seldom get out of their room so this little journey was a lot of stimulation I'm sure. We arrived back just in time as the rain was beginning to come down.  We took him up to his room and spent a bit more time with him.  Carrie was holding him while the nou nou's (nannies) were making him laugh.  I tried it too, but didn't get the same reaction....at first.  I was finally able to make laugh for the first time......and after that it was easy. As he is becoming more comfortable with us we are starting to see more of his personality.  Our first impression was that he is a very sensitive and serious little guy.  As he opens up we are seeing more of his playful and inquisitive side. I think I've written enough of a book for now.  We're curious to see what tomorrow brings. Caroline - the only thing I would add is that we met the wife and one son of the other couple today. They have had an exhausting trip coming straight from Canada to Vung Tau. We also talked with our adoption rep and she helped us arrange for a new room, closer to the pool, beach and restaurant and with not so mant stairs to get climb. Tomorrow we all go together with the family to the orphanage where they will see their daughter and we plan to take pictures of the nannies. Later, I desperately want to go to the mall and buy more snacks. Last night I had plain rice, French fries and half a banana cake for dinner. I'm hungry but need things plain right now. The heat makes me feel a bit nauscious so I'm not feeling too adventurous with the food yet. Oh, and the kids at the orphanage are getting used to us, when we first arrived in the morning, a number of them came and clung to my arms, and then one walked off with his arm around M. They are polite and well mannered, but can be cheeky little monkeys, just like M so I think their personalities are a good match. M really enjoys playing with them everyday. I do worry about picking up scabies, or other things, but we bag our clothes as soon as we get back to the hotel and shower with tea tree oil shampoo. It's all we can do. I expect we will visit the orphanage for a couple more days before we will be allowed to take E back to the hotel with us. He really is getting better each day with us, and I highly respect the Director for ensuring a smooth transition.

4 comments:

  1. That's sounds so wonderful and it was well written. I feel like I'm there with you. I am eagerly awaiting my turn.
    Is the experience what you expected...with the transitioning and such? I expected that they would have allowed you to take baby with you already....perhaps the giving/receiving ceremony plays a part in it too?
    If I didn't already say it ...lol...I CAN'T WAIT experience what you're experiencing. ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb...yes, soon it will be your turn too! I will be excited to hear when you travel. We didn't really know what to expect, but we thought maybe we would see him for a couple of days and then we would get to bring him back to our hotel. I wasn't expecting it to take this long, but I am appreciating getting to see the nou nou's every day, seeing the routine, taking pictures and getting to know everyone. Hopefully only one more day and then he will be ours :)

      Delete
  2. Pictures! pictures! pictures!!! Can't wait! so glad to hear E is getting use to you guys! Awesome!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! And thank you for the kick in the butt to get some pictures up on the blog! Hope you guys are still managing ok with B...still want a dog? :)

      Delete