Saturday 23 June 2012

Giving Thanks and Last Minute Preparations

Last night, my husband and I went on a date night, while our son had a sleepover with a friend.  We reflected on how lucky we are to have our son, who was conceived via IVF, and now to be blessed with another son through adoption.  We are so anxious to be travelling soon to meet our new little guy very soon.  I think of his birth Mother often and wonder what she must be feeling right now, or how she has been feeling over the past year.  I wonder how many members of his birth family know about him and I wonder who will think about him over the years, as he grows older.  We hope we will be able to learn as much as possible about how he came to the orphanage, to help answer questions he will have later in life.  Most of all, we hope he will be happy with us, and confident in himself. 

Today, we continue to work through our lists and finalize our suitcases.  We really want to pack lightly, but it's been really hard to do that!  I like to be over prepared, and I think I have bought out half the drug store and half the health food store with all the supplements, remedies, lotions and oils, etc.!  Every time I go out, I find something else that I think is essential to bring along.  My latest purchase is a snorkelling set for my older son....he is thrilled about that, and has been walking around the house with it on!  I don't do very well in the heat so I have bought cold packs, gel packs and a bathing suit and I plan to stay as close to the water as I can to stay cool!

A friend made a wonderful suggestion for my older son on the airplane trip to Vietnam.  She recently went to South Africa to visit family with her 5 year old, and she suggested we individually wrap all the items we have bought to keep our son busy.  She said to allow him to open one every hour.  I thought this was a fantastic idea!  I hope customs will be okay with it though.  But it will be neat to let him enjoy the gifts, one at a time, rather than all at once.  And hopefully, I have bought enough to keep him occupied!  But even more than that, I hope he sleeps for a good chunk of the flight!

Tomorrow night, our dog gets to have a sleepover at another friends house, who he will be staying with while we are gone.  Hopefully they all survive :)  He's a good pup...crazy at times, but a real snuggler.  I wonder what he will think of the new babe...probably will fill him with kisses and think....cool, another puppy to play with, LOL.  Yes, we will keep a close eye on both of them :)

Well, the birds are starting to chirp outside, and I think it is time to get started on the day!

2 comments:

  1. don't forget a warm pull for the plane, often it's to cold.
    all my best wishes, be certain you new son will be better with you than in the orphanage.

    Severine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you arrived in Vietnam ?
    do you had good travel ? did your son sleep during the flight ?

    Friendly from France
    Severine

    ReplyDelete